Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter Sports: Check!

So last weekend it was Saturday night. We had just gotten back from our day trip to Ehwa University and had a bag full of new ski gear for Kongjoo. What was the first idea to go through our heads? Let's go skiing tomorrow! So we started researching online to see what was close to us and where we could get to easily in order to enjoy ourselves out skiing on a nice little Sunday. Finally from all our research we discovered a little place called Yangji Resort. It is located about an hour and twenty minutes from my apartment and seemed like a descent enough mountain to enjoy.

So Kongjoo and I got up early on Sunday and made our way down to the Sangnoksu bus station where we got on a bus to Suwon. Once at Suwon we were able to pick up a number 10 bus which takes us right to Yangji resort. Don't we look wide awake? It actually wasn't too early only about 8:00 am.

We did miss one bus on our way there. But luckily they came every 15 minutes. So we could have been there a little earlier but I won't complain.

Here is a trail map of Yangji resort. I took this from there website. We spent most of our time on the yellow lift which is all the way down by the hotel. It is a nice little beginner course that Kongjoo was able to ski on and have lots of room.
Here is a picture looking up on the right side of the mountain.
Not your typical lunches at a ski mountain. Here I devoured jajang rice and Kongjoo had eaten a couple large mandu. It was overpriced like usual but it wasn't too bad.
Here is a view down the beginner slope. As you can see it is has a nice slight grade and is very long and wide. It is a perfect place to get some longer runs practicing your pizzaing and frenchfrieing.
Kongjoo was skiing great all day. She was also able to get off the lift all by herself which is very impressive for only her second time on the mountain.

Great shot of us riding up the lift.
At the bottom of the double black diamond areas. They are probably more like in between blue and black back in the states. There is a triple black all the way at the top that is definitely a black but nothing like Ripcord at Mount Snow.
Later in the afternoon the bunny slope became much more crowded as all the lessons started up. Here you can see all of them wearing their rented helmets. Holy little kids Batman!
The rental skis weren't too bad. I didn't check out the model number but I had a pair of Atomics not sure what Kongjoo was riding on.
She definitely already looks like a skier!
On the lift looking down.
Here is a little video from the very top of the mountain.

A view from the top! You can see a city down below. I am guessing that is Yangji or Yongin.
It had definitely been a while since I had skied. I tried doing the advanced courses but found my legs being very tired by the end. You can see me coming down here. I was so tired at the end I couldn't really keep myself up after I stopped.

Where the bus drops us off at the resort. It's nice I can go virtually door to door from my apartment to the resort.
Finally, here is my season pass with two free lessons and a free hotel stay. Not too bad for approximately $340 USD (exchange rate is good right now).
All in all we had a great time are are excited to get back to the mountain about every weekend. I wish I had my ski or snowboard gear but I am very satisfied in the fact that I will be getting out quite often this year. As some of you may know I didn't get out skiing or snowboarding at all last year. So this makes me very happy. Time to hit the slopes!

No comments: