Thursday, February 5, 2009

Using Mozilla Firefox with international websites

Living in Korea is a great thing if you love technology. Korea is one of the most connected countries in the world. Broadband access here is something like 35 million people who are actively connected to the internet which I find quite impressive for a country with only 50 million people. Never dropping a cellphone call and being able to access live TV anywhere in the country is also another great thing to boast about.

There is one piece of technology though that has been held back to near the 1990’s era. I’m talking of course about the near monopoly that internet explorer has on the Korean market. There are very few websites that will run correctly using any other type of browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari). It’s almost ridiculous to think that a country that is about 2 or 3 years ahead of most other countries technology is still limiting their advancement in internet browsing.

Being from the US I have enjoyed the use of Mozilla Firefox for some time now. It runs much smoother than IE and since I am still running Windows XP and refuse to upgrade my operating system until a better form of Windows 7 comes out my IE runs at a snail’s pace. I finally got so frustrated with IE today that I needed something. I had even downloaded Google Chrome today just to see if that would work, but with no avail. That’s why I am so happy that I was able to find this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419. What this add-on does is it allows someone using Firefox to open an IE tab within the Firefox interface. You can change back and forth between rendering engines and it has so far worked perfectly on many of the Korean websites that I have tried.

I hope this knowledge of the add-on helps people in their enjoyment of other web browsers while still being able to enjoy the viewing of all Korean websites. This is why today was a great day. Today I decided to quit my dependency on opening the full IE browser for running Korean websites

No comments: